Immersive System for Design Review in Naval Ambient
Improving the Design Review effectiveness and facilitating participation even for those who are unfamiliar with engineering: this is the goal of the SIDRAN research project.
Imagine: people you have invited to the Design Review are together immersed in the virtual mock-up of your project, they are crossing and examining it, perhaps discussing about it; but only some of them are physically in the same room, others could be in their office but in another city, even in another country.
Developed by Arsenal in partnership with Fincantieri Oil & Gas and the Cognitive Ergonomics Laboratory of the University of Trieste.
The aspects of cognitive ergonomics, social interaction, and perceptive sustainability are the cornerstones of this research, to obtain a modern design Review tool that exploits the latest VR technologies but it also of proven usability for the industrial environment.
SIDRAN is a project co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund of the Regional Operational Program of Friuli Venezia Giulia POR FESR 2014-2020
- From CAD drawings to Digital Mock-Ups in real time
- Operating on all CAD formats
- Recording Design Review session- annotate
- Collective 3D visualisation in video projection
- Individual immersive visualisation with HMD
- Multiple immersive visualisation with remote HMD
- Facilitating the understanding in the Design Review for everyone
- Making more reliable decisions and approvals about the projects
- Reducing errors, lenght and costs of design
- Allowing more Design Review participants to intervene, even remotely
- Promoting more frequent design reviews
- Making a contribution to Industry 4.0 in Design
- Oculus (HMD) was born for to be used as a game, not for “serious” work situations…
- Involving people who are not used to technology
- Modifying social differences in VR Design Review between avatars
- Psycho-physical sustainability in the immersive environment
- Latency in remote sessions, tracking precision , others …
- Making all this economically accessible
The project gives particular importance to factors that are crucial when the technology involves the modification of well-established interaction behaviours, such as those to which SIDRAN users should have to get used to: information flow, perceptual effectiveness, ease of navigation, social interaction, overall usability. Therefore the partnership of the University of Trieste – Cognitive Ergonomics Lab is very important
Paper on this research: please contact us